Not every relationship with a protégé is perfect. In this video, three types of toxic protégés and discussed with techniques on how to cope with them.
- Let's learn about the three types of toxic proteges…and discuss how to cope with them.…The first toxic protege type is the flake protege.…The flake protege can be simply unaware…and thus relatively benign,…or be engaging in passive aggressive warfare.…For example, I had a protege ask me to connect him…with an LMU alumna who worked at Google,…so I reached out to this alumna…and she graciously agreed to talk with my protege.…
I hate to tell you this, but my protege dropped the ball…and failed to follow up with her.…This made us both look like flakes.…If you have a flake protege, here is what I recommend.…First, I suggest that you clearly set…your expectations with your protege.…So after that experience, I always tell proteges…that I expect them to follow up…within one week of an introduction.…Second, you need to make your protege…responsible for a task.…
For example, if a protege wants me to connect them,…I have them do research…and prepare questions to ask ahead of time.…Third, if the protege does flake,…you need to confront and give consequences.…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring