Managing people and organizational design determine what types of employees you have. This online training video looks at different employment models and structures, and addresses topics like contract versus salaried employees, turnover, training, recruiting, organizational design, compensation, incentives, and performance management.
- An organization's people…is the key determinant in how work gets done…and how successful your organization is.…What types of people do you hire?…How are they paid?…How are they organized?…Understanding how you manage them determines…how work gets done or doesn't within that company.…Take a look at your organization.…What types of people do you have?…Are they hourly?…Are they salary?…Are they contractors?…How are they paid?…What are their incentives?…How are they measured in terms of performance…and how do you track their performance over time?…What's your turnover like?…What about training?…Where do you recruit from?…Where are you finding people…and how are you bringing them into the organization?…What does your org chart look like?…Is it very flat?…Is it very hierarchical?…In my organization, we're very flat.…
All my instructors are contractors.…I don't have employees.…They're all senior-level staff.…All their compensation is commission-based.…If they sell something, they make money.…If they don't sell anything, they don't make any money.…
- What business are you in?
- What's your market and who is your competition?
- What problem does your business solve?
- How are your products and services created? What are your pricing and growth strategies?
- How do you measure performance?
With the answers in hand, you can be assured your have the knowledge to make the best decisions for your business.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define and explain business acumen.
- Describe different types of growth horizons.
- Identify critical elements of knowing your business.
- Explain the effects of price changes on profits.
- List common growth methods.
- Evaluate your initiative pipeline.
- Define common business terms.
- Assess trends and your competitive environment.