Everyone in America has become busy. Still, this is no excuse for neglecting your mentoring relationship. Watch this video to learn how to make time for your protégé.
- Do you ever feel like being busy…has become and a competitive sport in corporate America?…Our busyness can feel overwhelming.…When you think about mentoring,…it might feel like just one more task…to add to your impossible to-do list.…However, it does not have to be like that.…Recently I was interviewed by time expert author,…Laura Vanderkam,…and we talked about how to make time for mentoring.…The following are some ideas we discussed.…
One, do a mentoring FAQ.…As you develop in your career,…you get approached by a lot of folks…wanting you to mentor them.…I find that many times…at the questions asked in the first informational interview…with the protégé are pretty standard.…Consider creating a mentoring FAQ…that covers the basics like your background…and your average day.…Now, when a would-be protégé reaches out to me,…I share my FAQ first.…This makes our first meeting more interesting…and we can go deeper in our conversation.…
You can find a sample mentoring FAQ at my website.…Two, integrate mentoring into your daily life.…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring