Active listening is critical to any successful relationship, especially one with a protégé. Receive an examples of active listening and how to apply it to your relationship with your protégé in this video.
- There's a great country song by Toby Keith…that goes something like this,…"We talk about your work and how your boss is a jerk.…We talk about your church and your head when it hurts.…We talk about your dreams.…We talk about your schemes.…But, every once in a while, I wanna talk about me."…Have you ever felt like that…when your coworker or protege is talking?…If you have, don't worry.…It happens to the best of us.…The good news is you can improve your listening skills…by applying specific strategies in active listening.…
Active listening is about listening to…feelings as well as facts and then checking in…to make sure your interpretation was correct.…I'm gonna walk you through an example…to illustrate three ways to make yourself…a better listener to your protege.…A few years ago, I had a super bright protege…who was an accounting major.…She was on track to get an offer…from a top firm until she came to me.…When we met, she said, "I hate accounting.…When I put on my suit to interview for internships,…I wanna throw up.…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring