At times it is necessary to provide your protégé with a critique that will aid in their long term success. This video provides five steps on how to give feedback effectively.
- Have you ever given someone feedback…and they burst into tears?…Truthfully, I have been on both sides of the table…in this scenario,…so I know how uncomfortable many of us are…with giving feedback,…especially developmental feedback.…Giving feedback can make us feel uncomfortable.…However, if you can refrain giving feedback…to be an act of kindness,…then you will be doing your protege a huge favor.…Let's walk through an example…of how to give constructive feedback to your protege.…
I have a protege named Mark.…Mark is the son of a well-known fashion designer…and he wanted to go into the family business.…However, when Mark gave a presentation in class,…it was an epic fail.…During his presentation,…he stroked and patted his tie like this.…Mark often made statements that communicated…his extremely wealthy background like…flying to the U.K. to buy $5,000 Bespoke suits…for his grad night.…
The students listening rolled their eyes…and tuned him out.…It was pretty uncomfortable.…Mark was a good person, however,…and realized he needed some help.…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring