Self-disclosure can be scary/risky for a mentor. Still, research found that self-disclosure is linked to more effective relationships. This video offers 5 steps to utilize when self-disclosing to a protégé for the first time.
- Self-disclosure, when I say the word,…do you get interested, or does it scare you a little bit?…For most people, it is a little bit of both.…What is self-disclosure?…It means making yourself vulnerable and known to others…through revealing your experiences, feelings, and wants.…Research shows that if self-disclosure is done correctly…then it can improve work relationships,…engagement, and even be a stress relief.…
So, let's get started in applying five steps…to using self-disclosure with your protege.…First, face the fear.…If the thought of self-disclosing makes you feel fearful…you are not alone.…Many of us worry we will be judged…or that being vulnerable makes us weak,…but being vulnerable with your protege…makes your relationship real.…Second, choose the right time, place, and context.…
Communicate if you want the self-disclosure to be shared,…or if it really is just for your protege's information.…Third, use matching and reciprocity to know…when it is the right time to self-disclose.…So, let's say a protege starts to open up to you…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring