Chemistry and connection is not just important in your love life. Finding similarities to your protégé are essential to the growing relationship. Watch this video to learn ways to find similarities, and build protégé chemistry.
- View Offline
- Before we talk about mentoring,…I want you to take a moment and think…about the most amazing date you've ever been on.…Probably what made that date so amazing…was not the walk on the beach or bottle of wine you shared,…but the chemistry you felt with that other person.…In fact, much of what we know about how to develop chemistry…in professional relationships borrows…from research from interpersonal relationships.…
Let's examine how you can develop chemistry…in an authentic and professional way with your protege.…The Law of Similarity is the idea that people like…and attribute more positive characteristics…to those they think are very similar to themselves.…At first, people notice surface-level similarity.…For example, race or gender or where you went to school…all matter to people at first.…This can be bad because surface-level similarity…can really distort our perceptions of one another.…
However, here is a very exciting news from research.…As people get to know each other, their perceptions…of deep-level similarity become way more important…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring