Breaking up is hard to do, and professional break ups can be even more difficult. In this video you will learn how to gracefully end a mentor/protégé relationship.
- Break-ups are awkward.…Whether break-ups are professional or personal,…managing a break-up gracefully takes…advanced interpersonal ninja skills.…But I can offer you five suggestions…that will definitely help make your break-up easier.…First, decide on your break-up goal.…For example, would you like this protege out of your life…forever, or do you still like and respect your protege,…but perhaps your priorities have shifted?…If it's the latter case, you can ease the blow…by providing your protege with an introduction…to a new mentor.…
Second, break up in person if possible.…I know it is tempting to tweet, text, or email…a Dear John letter to your protege,…but keep it classy and do it in person.…Make sure you schedule enough time for the meeting…so you have sufficient time for your discussion.…Third, express gratitude for what you learned…from your protege.…Consider writing them a formal letter or email…summarizing what you learned.…Consider endorsing your protege on LinkedIn,…if you feel they did a good job.…
Fourth, be direct and unequivocal.…
She also offers guidance on building trust and chemistry, providing feedback, and helping your protégé make critical career and work decisions and become resilient in the face of challenges. She also helps you address common obstacles, including a protégé that fails to meet expectations or violates trust, and explains how to gracefully exit the relationship.
- Building a relationship with your protégé
- Talking and listening with impact
- Giving feedback
- Developing trust
- Setting goals
- Developing your protégé's skills
- Managing mentoring relationships
- Overcoming common obstacles
- How to make time for mentoring