Join Will Kemp for an in-depth discussion in this video Paints and mediums, part of Painting Foundations: Creating Palettes for the Landscape.
- With so many acrylic paint colors available,…it can be really overwhelming when you go to the art store…and are faced with all this massive colors in front of you.…And with such a choice it can be hard to know…which colors are best to start with.…Often, you tend towards a beginner's starter kit,…but is this really the best choice to start with…when you're first mixing colors?…Box starter sets are designed to give you a varied approach,…a range of colors that give you the widest color gambit…with a minimum amount of outlay.…
But it depends what you're aiming for for your end result…if the starter set is gonna be the right choice for you.…If you think about the paintings that you want to achieve,…the subject matter you are tackling before you…actually decide on the paints,…then you can create a color palette that is going to…work best for the subject.…So before every painting lesson throughout this course,…I'm going to show you the base pigments that…I've chosen to mix the seasonal palette from.…These base pigments can be your go to tool kit…
Will explains how to simplify and separate tonal values into areas of light and shadow, how to use warm and cool colors effectively, and how to mix a naturalistic green palette — a major color stumbling block in landscape painting. A vibrant spring green, for example, can be easy to mix, but hard to balance. The same is true for warm autumnal colors and the vivid blues of summer skies. Will shows how to build these palettes and use gestural impressionistic brushstrokes to paint different landscape scenes. By introducing washes and glazes, he demonstrates how to simulate the atmospheric light of each season. So break out your brushes and paints. Start watching to learn how to mix color for the landscape and approach painting the seasons with confidence.
- Setting up supports and grounds
- Choosing brushes, paints, and additional materials
- Mixing harmonious color palettes
- Creating a winter palette with neutrals
- Blending colors of atmospheric light
- Painting smoky edges and dark areas of a landscape
- Mixing and balancing green
- Underpainting a spring landscape
- Creating autumnal golden light
- Extending color palettes
- Adding watery washes and glazes
- Creating a vibrant summer palette
- Simplifying shapes in a landscape painting
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Foundations: Light and Shadowwith Will Kemp1h 52m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.