Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video The importance of schoolwide communication, part of Communication in the 21st Century Classroom.
- As educators, we often spend a lot of time building a safe, collaborative environment within our classrooms. How well do we do this at the school level, however? Wouldn't it be great to create a culture of learning throughout the entire school? And a community of connected students who know and respect one another? And a school in which students are informed about events and other activities? Technology provides some innovative ways to help us accomplish this. One great way to do this is through the use of school announcements. Now, most schools have some sort of announcements whether they're posted on the walls, handed out to students, emailed to parents or read over the loud speaker often by an adult in the building.
I challenge you, however, to consider ramping up your announcements by empowering students to create them and then sharing them with the school in either an audio or video formate. Not only does this give students a voice and allows them to take ownership in the school but it's a great way to help students develop important communication skills. In my experience, student-created announcements are more well received by the students and help to give them a sense of ownership within the school. So let's take a look at why you'd create announcements and what we should announce.
Obviously, this is specific to your school and situation but consider announcing, information such as events going on in the school or events going on in the community. You could give acknowledgements such as updates on sports or clubs, awards and accomplishments by your students and even student birthdays. How about inspiration? You could announce different inspirational quotes or inspirational stories. And be creative! Announce student challenges perhaps giving a clue each day that leads to a final mystery that students have to solve or giving away prizes at the end of the week to some random students.
When you do this not only do you inform students about things going on in the school or community, update them on great things that students are doing within the school and help them to get to know one another better, but you make students feel important which should be at the heart of what we're doing. Now, what can you do with these announcements? You could play them to the entire school each morning, you could upload and share the links with parents, you could even post the links so the announcements on a school website, social media account or even a Google spreadsheet.
This will help students who are not at school, parents and the community to stay informed about the great things taking place in your school. In this chapter, I want to explain how you can improve communication and collaboration in your school to help foster a sense of community. We'll look at how to empower students to create both audio and video announcements.
- Introducing digital literacy to your class
- Understanding our digital citizenship and digital footprint
- Collaborating with Google Drive
- Implementing an LMS
- Offering video office hours using Google Hangouts
- Gathering student feedback with Google Forms
- Creating audio and video announcements
- Using social media to communicate with the community