Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video The impact of the digital divide, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] In this video, we'll take a look…at the impact of the Digital Divide…which is a concept referring to the fact that…not everyone has equal access to technology.…As technology continues to become…such an important part of our everyday life,…we may overlook the fact that…not all of our students have access…to these technology tools.…Let's take a look at some scenarios…in which this may cause a problem.…You assign students an activity…in which they need to navigate a specific website…and find information about a topic.…The students are not given enough class time,…so it's expected that…they'll complete the assignment outside of class.…
A student approaches you and let's you know…that they don't have access to the Internet at home.…Perhaps they don't have a device to connect to the Internet,…or in this situation,…the student has a device,…but doesn't have access the the Internet at home.…Anyone who pays for an Internet connection…knows that it can be quite expensive…and this isn't an option for many families.…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews