Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video What is digital access?, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] In this chapter, we'll take a look at…the concept of digital access and discuss the impact…that it can have on students, families, and schools.…Let's first define digital access.…The concept of digital access…refers to an individual's level of electronic participation.…This could refer to a number of things,…including whether someone has access to devices…like smartphones, tablets, computers, or others,…whether they have access to the Internet…whether through Wi-Fi, a mobile connection,…or something else,…or whether they have access to tools…such as software, apps, or antivirus protection.…
We're in the digital age, and the amount of technology…that's used in everyday life continues to increase.…I want to show you a website that does a good job…of illustrating this.…Now, you can find this website at…ww.internetlivestats.com.…This website shows us a ton of information…about current technology used around the world.…Right now I'm on live stats, and it's showing us the number…of Internet users around the world.…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews