Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Use trusted sites, part of Digital Citizenship.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] In the previous video, we discussed…how prevalent online shopping is in today's world.…In this video, we'll take a look at some things…you can do to stay protected when shopping online.…These precautions are important to teach our students…as an increasing amount of them will…engage in making online purchases.…Many of these mistakes are ones that…you do not want to learn the hard way.…Also, you can discuss this is any class.…Having a discussion with students about how to protect…yourself when shopping online is a great way…to teach critical thinking skills.…In these discussions, consider some of the following points.…
How do you know if you can trust a website…that you're purchasing something from?…Is it okay to give your credit card…or use other methods of payment…in order to purchase something online?…And what can we do to make sure that…we're protecting ourselves from fraud…or having sensitive information compromised?…Before you purchase something online, do some research.…Find out whether the site you want to make…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews