Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Overview of digital security, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] In the digital age we continue to rely…more and more on technology for creating and storing…important information and intellectual property.…With this being said, it's important to take the correct…steps to protect and secure this information.…In this chapter, we'll take a look at…how to protect and store these assets.…We'll take a look at important concepts such as…online privacy, threats such as computer malware…and viruses, as well as some tips to help…secure your online property by doing things…like creating more secure passwords.…There are some common sense tips that you can use…to keep your information and assets protected,…including keeping your hardware and software updated,…avoiding spam emails, and never opening attachments…which are from someone you…don't know or you weren't expecting.…
And beware of pop-ups that use scare tactics…in order to get you to click on them.…This are ways that a lot of computer threats…and other malware can get onto your computer.…Also, back up the files on your computer.…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews