Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] This course was an introduction…to digital citizenship.…I recommend that you continue to learn…as much as you can on this topic.…A great next step would be to watch some of…the additional courses in our library,…including the course Information Literacy…by Elsa Loftin.…Another is Understanding Copyright by Dana Robinson,…which is an excellent course on the ins and outs…of copyright law.…Check out Communication in the 21st Century Classroom…by Oliver Schinkten.…Or Social Media in the Classroom with Kevin Kelly.…Or one of hundreds of other courses…that teach about specific softwares,…devices, or learning management systems.…
I also recommend checking out the book…Digital Citizenship in Schools by Mike Ribble.…This book has a ton of great information,…including definitions, implications, real-world examples,…and solutions to some of the issues that we're faced with.…Check out some of the websites we discussed in the course…or find other great resources.…An important next step is to ramp up the conversation…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews