Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Key takeaways, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] What are some of the key takeaways…from this course?…In the first section, we discussed our digital footprint.…It's important to remember that…any time you're interacting online,…you're contributing to your digital footprint.…Also that your digital footprint…is becoming an ever-increasing part…of your overall image…as it's being used in decisions…about college acceptance, scholarships,…and hiring for jobs.…The goal isn't to avoid having a negative digital footprint.…That isn't enough.…The goal is to create a positive digital footprint.…In the next section,we discuss digital etiquette.…
Treat others fairly and treat them with respect.…Also, stand up against cyberbullying…and take part in online communities.…But do so with respect.…Then there was digital access.…Realize that not everyone has…equal access to technology.…This is known as the digital divide.…But that it's something that we can work…towards finding a solution.…We discussed online rights and responsibilities,…including some guidelines for conducting…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews