Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Join an online community, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] In this video, I want to discuss the value…of joining an online community,…as well as appropriate etiquette while engaging in one.…When topics such as online privacy and security…or cyber bullying are discussed,…it can give us a negative image of the online world.…This isn't fair, however.…In the digital age, we're able to connect and communicate…with people in ways that we have never been able…to do so before.…It's truly amazing that we can be part of a conversation…with like-minded individuals from around the world…while sitting in the comforts of our own home,…workplace, or school.…
The internet has allowed our society…to become more connected,…providing the opportunity to connect with those…who have similar interests…and grow professionally by sharing resources,…stories, and experiences.…Are you part of an online community?…If not, I highly recommend joining one,…whether for personal or professional reasons.…Examples of online communities include…a professional learning network on Twitter,…LinkedIn or Facebook groups based on topics of interest,…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews