Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Find solutions for the digital divide, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] In this chapter, we've defined digital access…and discussed the digital divide.…We've also discussed some issues that may arise.…In this video, we'll take a look at some best practices…or solutions that can help to deal with the issue…of unequal digital access.…First, one thing that should be considered…is what is the purpose of any assignment or activity?…How can you provide an opportunity for all students…to be successful at completing the assignment…or to demonstrate their understanding of it?…Although technology and innovation has provided us…with many ways to improve or simplify the process,…it isn't always required in order to reach your goal.…
For instance, you want students to access multiple websites…in order to see different viewpoints…on a current event that's in the news.…You then want them to submit a two page reflection…to a learning management system,…which defines the current event,…gives their point of view,…and reflects on different points of view…that they read about.…Now, in an assignment like this,…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews