Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Engage with online reviews, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] A great way to help students develop…critical thinking skills,…while also learning how to become more informed…and educated online consumers,…is to engage them in activities…that allow them to practice…online shopping skills.…In this video, I want to discuss…the use of online product descriptions…and customer reviews, or comments, in order to do this.…I want to introduce an activity that I've had success with.…I call it The Toaster Activity.…For this activity, students need to help you make a decision…on which product to purchase.…I like to use a popular and credible site…like Amazon.com to do this.…
The first step, is to explain to the students…that you need to purchase a specific type of product.…For instance, a toaster, but you'd like them to research…different styles and brands,…and then give you a recommendation on which one to buy.…If you want to make the assignment more relative…to your content area,…you could use products such as…a calculator for math class,…or you need to look up a microscrope…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews