Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Create a username and password, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] Being a good digital citizen…includes respecting other people's online privacy.…Hopefully it's obvious that you should not try to…log in to other people's accounts online.…Not only is it unethical, but it can also be illegal.…If this isn't obvious, I'll say this:…Do not access other people's online accounts.…Don't even try to, it can often end in disaster.…With that being said, not everyone will abide by this.…Unfortunately, there are unethical people…who try to hack into other people's accounts…for a wide variety of reasons.…Some may try to guess passwords,…while on a larger scale, others will have software…that can help them to determine or predict passwords.…
The best way to protect against this is to create…unpredictable, strong passwords.…What determines a strong password…has been a topic of debate.…On many sites, they'll give an indicator…of your password strength as you create it.…However, a password that's deemed very strong on one website…may be deemed as weak on another.…Let's take a look at a few examples of…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews