Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Best practices in conducting online research, part of Digital Citizenship.
- [Voiceover] Another great benefit of the Internet…is that it gives us instant access…to an incredible amount of information.…This has revolutionized the ways that we're able to learn,…work, and live.…With this incredible amount of information, however,…comes a lot of not-so-incredible information.…Although the Internet is an excellent place to do research,…it's important that we help students become intelligent,…informed consumers of this information.…In this video, we'll take a look at some best practices…for conducting online research…that we need to help our students to understand.…The first thing that we need to emphasize to students…is obvious.…
Just because something is on the Internet…doesn't mean that it's true.…Now, over the years, I've been amazed at the number of times…I've seen students submit false information…which they claim to think was true…because they found it on the Internet.…So how can we help our students to do a better job…of finding credible sources that they can rely on?…The following are some helpful pieces of advice…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews