Discover how to apply your existing IP knowledge to networking. Learn how to set up WANs (wide area networks) with switches, routers, and different routing protocols.
- WAN routing literally controls the flow of information across the world. The equipment forms the body, and routing protocols give it voice. That's what this course is all about. Hi, I'm Greg and I've been building networks worldwide for over 10 years. In this course, I'll examine a multitude of Internet delivery systems. I'll describe ways to privately connect your offices around the world, then discuss making that same connection for free over the Internet. I'll deep dive into building your switch network, then layer the internals of a routed network over top.
Last and most important to me, I'll discuss routing protocols that connect your LAN and the protocols that operate in the heart of the Internet. I'm ready to rock. So grab your gear and let's get started with Foundations of Networking: Networking Media WANs.
He discusses different WAN technologies and features such as speeds, spans, and price points—including inexpensive options such as VPN. He then covers switches (the devices that connect computers in your building) and routers (devices that control the transmission of network data). Along the way, Greg shows how to build private connections, implement free networking over the Internet, build switch networks, and overlay-routed networks. He'll also introduce different routing protocols, such as OPSF link-state routing and distance-vector routing with RIPv2, EIGRP, and BGP.
Note that this course maps to domains 1 and 2 of the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Networking Fundamentals certification exam (98-366).
- Understanding the technology: from dial-up to VPNs
- Working with hubs, bridges, and switches
- Ensuring hardware redundancy
- Using switching types and MAC tables
- Preventing bridge loops with STP
- Routing with routing tables
- Using NAT
- Securing your switches and routers
- Setting up firewalls
- Working with different routing protocols: RIPv2, OSPF, EIGRP, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Networking: Network Media (LANs)with Greg Sowell1h 7m Intermediate
1. WAN Technologies
4. Routing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.