Learn about infrastructure as code and the benefits of this approach, like versionability, testability, collaboration, and reuse throughout an organization.
- [Male Voiceover] There are a lot of big players in…the Configuration Management world, but a few of the most…heavily adopted tools are Puppet, Chef, RightScale,…Ansible, Salt, and CFEngine.…While the DIY approach is still heavily employed,…CM Tools are particularly valuable in maintaining…consistency across a scaleable deployment which has…encouraged a heavy adaption of CM tools…over the last decade or so.…It's very important to understand the difference between…using a configuration management tool…and traditional scripting.…
While CM is essentially a more robust form of running…a configuration script, it has the added benefit…of ensuring that the execution of a script only…modifies system resources when they are not already…in the desired state.…This concept is called idempotence.…It ensures that implying the same script over and over…always results in the same configuration.…If the configuration has already been applied,…the script will not be run.…
For example: if the Apache package has already…been installed, a good CM tool will not attempt…
- Configuration management
- Using Chef
- Installing the Chef development kit (ChefDK)
- Provisioning a CentOS instance
- Using recipes and the Apache cookbook
- Working with nodes and node objects
- Using templates and embedded Ruby
- Hosting a Chef server
- Provisioning nodes with AWS
- Testing deployments with Kitchen
- Exploring the Chef Supermarket
- Resolving dependencies with Berkshelf
- Working with server roles, environments, and data bags
Skill Level Beginner
Setting up a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Serverwith Sandra Toner2h 46m Intermediate
1. Getting Started with Chef
2. From Recipes to Cookbooks
3. The Chef Server
4. Going Full Scale
Next steps3m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.