Join Chris Croft for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Excel for Gantt charts: My top 10 tips, part of Learning Gantt Charts.
- My favorite software for producing…Gantt charts is definitely Excel.…And now, I want to share with you,…some of the little tricks that I've…developed over the years,…for creating Gantt charts quickly and…easily using Excel.…You don't have to be great at Excel…to make a Gantt chart, it really is easy.…Now, my first tip, and…this one is a little bit fancy, I suppose,…is that I like to use conditional formatting to get it…to color in the squares.…Normally, conditional formatting is used to…show things like costs that are over a million dollars,…or where sickness is over 10%,…but, in this case, I've told it that if the contents…of the cell are greater than zero, in other words,…if there is anything in there at all,…to color it in, in red.…
And then, I've told it to color the…bottom half of the Gantt chart,…where the floating tasks are, in blue.…If you don't know about conditional formatting,…then ask someone to show you.…It's really useful for lots of other things,…as well as just Gantt charts.…My second tip is to use weeks,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is a Gantt chart?
- Estimating times and adding contingency
- Assessing the Gantt chart software options
- Using Gantt chart templates
- Communicating the plan
- Accelerating projects with Gantt charts