What should you avoid in the negotiation conversation? Learn the most common traps people fall into when negotiating a job offer. Some people are unprepared or focus only on salary. Whereas, others make it too personal or come across as entitled or inflexible. Learn how to be realistic with your expectations and negotiate in a way that will get you the best deal possible.
- Most of us don't like talking about money,…and despite the fact that most of us…prefer to avoid it altogether,…or even get it over with as fast as possible,…it's important not to fall into common negotiation traps.…A misstep during the negotiation process, or worse,…your failure to negotiate at all,…could end up costing you thousands of dollars,…or even the job altogether.…Let's talk about some of the most…common traps people fall into.…
As we review each one, pay special attention…to the ones that might be tempting for you.…The first one is being unprepared.…You can avoid this by doing your research upfront,…so by the time you get to negotiating,…you are not only prepared,…but can speak intelligently about the offer.…The next is focusing only on salary.…Remember to look at the total compensation package.…If you don't, you may be missing out…on the important parts that will actually boost your income.…
Another trap people fall into is making it personal.…Keep in mind that this is a business conversation.…Even though accepting a new job,…
- Analyze a position and salary range.
- Define what you want from a new position.
- Evaluate a job offer.
- Identify tactics and myths for negotiating salary.
- Prepare for negotiating in special situations.
- Assess the best way to give notice at your old job.