Turn an internship into a stepping stone for your career. Learn how to find the right internship, network at your new job, and negotiate a full-time position.
- Internships are an imperative part of your job search strategy. It's not enough to have good grades and student activities on your resume. Companies are seeking students with work experience who will hit the ground running in their new positions. In fact, many organizations vet potential employees though their internship programs. In my own research, I've seen a positive correlation between students with internships and those who have jobs directly after graduation. Hi, I'm Valerie Sutton. I'm an experienced career coach focused on applying research to practice of building and managing your career.
In this course, I will cover the benefits of internships, which give you the opportunity to explore careers, test work cultures, build skills, develop professional networks, and gain job referrals before graduating. What could be better? So the question is how do you get one, and then how do you turn it into a full-time job offer? This course is designed to walk you through all of the questions you may have about the process. Be sure to check your own school's procedures and regulations to complement my advice in this course.
Let's get started.
- Evaluating opportunities
- Taking paid vs. unpaid internships
- Working with an internship program
- Tracking your project performance
- Managing your contacts long term
- Negotiating a full-time position