In this video, Spencer Milo talks about the core of every service member—the desire to serve and help others. Spencer also talks about taking pride in your military service, but not letting it be the only source of pride.
- The thing that I would say for almost every veteran I've ever met, you have a servant's soul. Part of you, it's ingrained in you to want to serve others. You know, and I mean that at the very basic level. You want to help other people, whether you think that or not, you would've never joined if you didn't want to help others. So, what I would do is tell people to focus on that. You know, don't try and run away from it. I think so many times when I speak with veterans that are transitioning, they are so focused on trying to find a brand new them, and they want to toss out everything that they've had before, or the exact opposite where they're absolutely in complete refusal to adapt at all.
You know, and I always say go back to your military training. You know, you're taught from day one if you can ask for help it's going to make you stronger, than ask for it. If you can get someone or something to help you to make you better, you do it. So don't change that now that you're out. Now that you've moved into that transition. You were in the military. Be proud of that. Let that still be a part of you. It doesn't need to be the only part of you though. I think that's something that I'd really want people to think about is, hey it's going to be a part of you no matter what.
It will always be there. It is something that you should be proud of, that you should always represent, but at the same token, you know, you're at a new phase in your life. You have to be able to adapt.
Discover how to understand your strengths and value, where your skills fit into today's job market, and how to translate your experience into a solid resume. Learn how a mentor can help you navigate the transition and open up new opportunities. With Flo's advice, you can find a new purpose and continue the journey you started in the military—bringing your talents to bear on a whole new mission in life.
- Taking initiative
- Understanding your value
- Translating your experiences
- Building your resume
- Using a mentor
- Setting realistic expectations
- Building a network
- Transitioning into a new job
- Bonus videos featuring stories of transition from veterans