- Dealing with job loss
- Taking classes and building skills
- Volunteering to fill resume gaps
- Searching and applying for jobs
- Writing a better resume and cover letter
- Interviewing for your first job after a layoff
Skill Level Intermediate
- A few years ago, in a career advising session, I found myself sitting across from a woman who had just been laid off. I could see the pain and confusion she was feeling. It was palpable. The first thing she said was, "I don't even know where to start." That's what this course is all about. Providing you with actionable tips and ideas to bounce back from a layoff for every stage of that process. My name is Brie Reynolds and I'm the Director of content at FlexJobs, a job search website for telecommuting and other flexible jobs. I've been a career advisor for over 10 years, and have written hundreds of articles related to job searching, but my absolute favorite thing is interacting with job seekers, and that's why I'm excited to bring you this course. In this course, we'll cover the whole scope of job searching after a layoff. We'll go over resumes and cover letters, finding part-time and temporary work, how to tackle tricky interview questions like why was your last job eliminated? And how to make the best use of your time. Remember the woman whose story I told you? I walked her through the same steps we'll cover in this course and with each step, she told me she felt more confident and by the end of the process, she was focused, and well on her way to finding a new job. Maybe, just like her, you've lost your job and don't know where to begin. In this course, we'll tell you how to get your career back on track. So let's get started.