Learn how to prepare clarifying questions and give a counter offer. You often have only once chance to negotiate a job offer. Learn what questions to ask when you want to negotiate salary bonus and other benefits. How do you get more information on the value of benefits like medical and retirement? Practice making counter negotiation statements when you want more paid time off or a flexible schedule.
- Are you excited about your job offer,…but hoping there's a little wiggle room on the salary?…Or maybe after looking at the details…you're confused with some of the terms.…It's time to prepare to negotiate.…Since it's likely that you'll only get one shot…at negotiating the terms of your offer,…I've found it to be most effective…to ask all of my questions at once.…This means before you respond to the company,…you should be prepared with one list…containing all of your questions and counterpoints.…
In some cases practicing actual counter negotiation points…can be especially helpful.…Let's start with the most common questions asked…at this stage in the process.…Can the base salary or bonus be increased?…What's the value of the medical or retirement benefits?…Is there any opportunity for flexible work arrangements?…What happens if I already have a vacation planned…that exceeds the amount of paid time off offered?…Let's take a look at each question…and talk through what you might say…when it comes time to negotiate.…
- Analyze a position and salary range.
- Define what you want from a new position.
- Evaluate a job offer.
- Identify tactics and myths for negotiating salary.
- Prepare for negotiating in special situations.
- Assess the best way to give notice at your old job.