Join Dr. Chaz Austin for an in-depth discussion in this video Plan for your new job, part of Succeeding in a New Job.
- Congratulations, you got the job!…When do you start?…Your first day of work is the Monday after next.…Well, that may be your first day at the office,…but your job started when you accepted the offer.…Start preparing now.…The company presumably gave you some onboarding documents…including an employee manual.…The first thing you want to do is read them,…make notes where you have questions.…Your next step is to go to the company's website.…
Presumably you visited it before you interviewed…for the job, but now you'll be looking at it…from a different perspective.…Notice the new initiatives and plans for the future,…review the press releases, who are the key players?…Who's moving up, and who else is joining the company?…Are bios available for your teammates and other people…you may be working with?…You want to be looking for what I call points of resonance,…meaning what do you have in common…with the people you're researching, your future co-workers?…Did you attend the same school, are you from the same city?…Maybe you both used to work at the same company.…
Success starts with a good foundation, a great plan, and an attitude of humility—no matter your level of expertise. From there, you learn techniques to integrate with your team, communicate and collaborate effectively, and find mentors at your company. Dr. Austin also helps you cultivate an energetic and focused attitude that will position you for future success.
- Plan for a new job.
- Create an effective job foundation and structure.
- Identify important aspects of humility.
- Explain how to identify success.
- Describe characteristics of mentors.
- Demonstrate energy in a new role.