Join Dr. Chaz Austin for an in-depth discussion in this video Meet your extended team, part of Succeeding in a New Job.
- The two most important people at your job…are your boss and the person in the payroll department…who cuts your check.…Seriously, you wanna make friends with…everyone in the company.…You team extends beyond the people you work with every day.…Get your supervisor's okay, always have this be a practice,…and if he or she says yes make it your business…to introduce yourself to other people in the company.…You'll be interacting with many, maybe all of them,…at some point in the future.…It's a sign of respect that you reached out…to introduce yourself, to learn what it is they do,…and how you may be able to help them.…
This includes everyone: the receptionist, people in HR, IT.…The company's org chart describes the formal lines…of communication, which need to be followed and respected.…What I'm talking about are the informal lines…of communication, the relationships you build…with people in other departments.…Make friends everywhere, nurture these relationships,…because the informal network is often the way…things get done in an organization.…
Success starts with a good foundation, a great plan, and an attitude of humility—no matter your level of expertise. From there, you learn techniques to integrate with your team, communicate and collaborate effectively, and find mentors at your company. Dr. Austin also helps you cultivate an energetic and focused attitude that will position you for future success.
- Plan for a new job.
- Create an effective job foundation and structure.
- Identify important aspects of humility.
- Explain how to identify success.
- Describe characteristics of mentors.
- Demonstrate energy in a new role.