In this video, executive coach Roberta Matuson helps you understand how to maximize your power in the workplace. Learn when to activate your personal power versus your position power, as well as how to avoid the misuse of power that can damage your career.
- I remember the day I got my corner office…like it was yesterday.…I thought I was so cool.…I'd watched enough television to know…that with a corner office and a fancy job title came power.…Most people are really excited to learn…they possess power, and of course, there are a handful…who seem to go a little wild.…Admittedly, I may have fallen into that second category.…But listen, there's no need to fret…if your office is still a cube…or if your title doesn't impress your mom or dad.…
You still have power.…Now, there are two kinds of power,…position and personal power.…Position power is the power that you…are awarded based on your job title.…Personal power is the power you acquire…based on the strength of your relationships with others.…It's important to understand when…to activate your personal power versus your position power.…I was at my local pharmacy the other day…watching as the manager, we'll call him Daniel,…used his position power to bark orders…and send team members scrambling.…
When challenged he would say, "I'm the boss,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Decoding your boss's management style
- Managing your boss
- Building strong relationships
- Avoiding mistakes
- Dealing with office politics
- Ensuring your next play is the right move
- Communicating effectively
- Bridging a generation gap
- Being heard
- Tooting your own horn strategically