The common interview quesion about relocating or traveling can be tricky, if you are not sure you are willing to do so. In this video tutorial, Valerie Sutton, director of Career Services at the Harvard School of Graduate Education, explains how to answer the question honestly and show your fit with the organization.
- There is one of two reasons that you'll be asked,…are you willing to relocate or travel.…It's either a preference for them for the current position.…Or your potential employer is thinking…of future career growth opportunities.…In either case, the preferred answer is yes.…But what if you are not sure or can't relocate or travel?…You want to be sincere in your answer and not approach…it based on the comment like,…for the right opportunity I would consider relocating.…That's essentially saying maybe to the recruiter…which can lead them to think you will say…no, once you have the opportunity.…
If you are unsure about relocation.…A good approach is to focus on your fit for the position…and your willingness to move based on your career growth.…Then, ask questions about the relocation…to better understand their needs.…Questions like, can you tell me what career trajectory…I can expect within the new position?…Or what is the typical length of stay at each project site?…These types of questions can lead you…to a better decision when it comes time.…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.