In this video tutorial, learn how to answer the common interview question why are you interested in our company? Valerie Sutton, director Career Services at Harvard Graduate School of Education, explains the importance of researching the company to refelct that you understand the positon, demonstrate how you will contribute and show that it fits with your long-term career goals. Her advice also will help you to answer What do you like about the position? Why are you interested in this position? Or, how did you hear about this position?
- There are a variety of reasons an interviewer might ask,…"Why are you interested in our company?"…And this really can be more difficult than you think.…You may respond about how much you enjoy their product,…but what they're really asking is how you see…yourself contributing to the position.…To best determine the meaning of this question,…let's review the primary reasons for asking it.…First, they may be focused on…your true interest in the company.…They want to have someone who is committed…to the profession, product, or service,…and not just seeking any job.…
A second reason is that they want…to know you understand the position…and how you plan on contributing to it.…And finally, they want to know your long-term career goals,…and how this position fits.…This helps them to determine how long…you may possibly stay in the position.…Since you don't know the motivation behind the question,…you need to address each reason in a concise manner.…You can frame it in any order,…and I suggest starting with…the area that truly excites you.…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.