The questions you ask the interviewer are equally as important as the questions they ask you. In this video, Valerie Sutton explains how to form questions by using behavioral techniques that will allow you to determine the work culture, what success will look like and how you might interact with colleagues. It is your chance to interview the interviewer.
- Usually at the end of an interview,…the person interviewing you will ask…what questions you have for them.…It is a big mistake not to have questions prepared.…This shows you're not interested in the position at all.…I often work with people who find it hard…to come up with these questions.…If this is the case, a good way to think about it…is that it's a chance for you to…interview the interviewer.…It's important to ask the right questions…of each person who's interviewing you.…For instance, if it's a screening interview…with a human resource manager,…then asking about how the team collaborates…is not the best question,…but asking them about the overall culture…is a great question,…so each person that you interview with,…you should have a separate set of questions.…
A great way to form these questions…is in the behavioral format.…It's hard to cover up a bad environment…when you are asking specific examples.…Even if they want to fake it,…you'll be able to tell from their body language…that they have no confidence in their answers.…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.