What makes you interesting is one of the more complex interview common questions since you may not be sure what answer is being sought. In this video, Valerie Sutton advises you to focus instead on the question "why should I hire you" and to create a narrative focused on why you are uniquely are qualified for the position.
- To tell you honestly, I have never known…what people are trying to get from the question…"what makes you interesting?".…This answer can be different based on the industry…and who is asking it.…For instance, a startup, it could be…"what makes you quirky and fun to hang out with?",…or with a more traditional organization,…it may be how you uniquely are qualified…for the specific role.…My advice is to focus on the role…and why the organization should hire you,…as this is the reason you are interviewing…in the first place.…So, why should they hire you?…You are going to want to create a narrative…focused on your experience, skills, and unique background,…and personality that align with both the role…and company culture.…
How you start will depend on what is most authentic to you.…I will take you through each category…to help you get started.…The first thing to think about…is bringing in your personality.…No matter the position,…you will be spending a lot of time with your coworkers…and they want to like you.…Personality is important,…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.