In this video tutorial, learn how to respoind to the classic behavioral interview question, tell me how you handled a difficult situation. Valerie Sutton, director Career Services at Harvard Graduate School of Education, will show you how to turn a negative question into solving problems and fitting in with the new company's culture.
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation…is a classic behavioral-based fit question.…They mostly likely are seeking information…on what you may find difficult,…how you go about solving problems,…or how you work with people in the organization.…Depending on the situation, it may also be confirming…your ability to learn on the job.…The way this question is asked can be broad and open…to interpretation, so you will want to not only show…your critical thinking skills but you also want to show…how you align with the organization's values and work style.…
Understanding the organization's culture will be helpful…in choosing an example.…This can be done through informational interviews…or by secondary research through news articles…or the company's website.…Look for clues about how teams collaborate…within the organization, how decisions are made,…and how recognition is handled.…This will help you pick an example that effectively…showcases your critical thinking and fit.…The example you pick should be specific to your style…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.