The question about disagreeing with your boss will come up in interviews. Valerie Sutton, director of Career Services at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, explains how to answer this common interview question. She focuses on staying positive and showing your fit with the work environment. This is not a question to be feared as it can show you are a collaborative colleauge and engaged in work.
- Whenever people work closely together,…it's common for tensions to rise,…and on occasion, disagreements to happen.…This is why the question,…how you handle a disagreement with your boss,…may come up in the interview.…It's all about how you handle conflict,…and if your response is a match for their work environment.…This question may also be framed as,…how you handled a disagreement with your team or co-worker.…Understanding workplace norms can be helpful…when answering this question.…Some organizations have a collaborative conflict culture…that manage conflicts productively,…while others are more combative.…
This is important,…because people make the place,…and thus individual differences not only effect…individual performance,…but also effect overall team performance.…By knowing this prior to going into the interview,…you can setup an answer that is much more effective.…If you can't figure out the conflict culture…prior to the interview,…you can still do well with this question.…Much like a difficult situation,…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.