Learn how to use your sponsor’s inside knowledge to avoid political roadblocks within your organization.
- One of the most important things you can learn…from your sponsor is the political landscape…of the organization.…To do that, you need to spend time…understanding how decisions are made.…A buddy of mine who was new to the organization…in a pretty high leadership role…called me because he was already experiencing roadblocks.…He was hitting his head up against the wall…trying to get his projects off the ground.…I had him connect with a friend of mine…who had been with the company for about 40 years.…He asked me why, and I told him,…"She's been there for 40 years.…
"She knows where the bodies are buried.…"She probably buried some along the way,…"and she knows the roads to take and the roads to avoid."…I would not be able to thrive in my career…if I didn't go see here.…Sure enough, he went to see her,…and later, he sent me a text saying,…"She told me exactly what I needed to do.…"She understood my pain, and she gave me…"much helpful advice."…Not only did he go and implement what she said,…but he is now so much more effective…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining your career goals
- Leveraging your sponsor's influence
- Engaging with your sponsor as an advocate
- Finding projects outside your job requirements
- Making your strengths visible to your organization
- Navigating political roadblocks
- Avoiding career potholes