Understand how to learn about a sponsor in order to understand his or her interests and sphere of influence. Learn how you can use this information to shape your own trajectory.
- Influence is when your reach exceeds your grasp.…Sponsors have an extensive reach beyond their grasp…and when you're able to tap into that,…you now have access to that outside…the walls of the organization.…Their influence will allow you to move…from local, to national, to global opportunities.…You need to leverage your sponsor's influence.…How do you do this?…First, do your due diligence to learn about your sponsor.…
Who are they connected to?…What do they do outside of work?…What's their street cred?…But also their interests.…Maybe your sponsor's into yoga, cooking, or fine wines.…You need to know as much information as possible…about that person.…Study what your sponsors have accomplished…in business and life.…Not only will you impress them…but you will reinforce their trust in you…and desire to help you advance in the organization.…Then, understand what are they currently working on…and how you can add value without being asked to do so.…
That way, when you approach them,…you're coming to them with suggestions and ideas.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining your career goals
- Leveraging your sponsor's influence
- Engaging with your sponsor as an advocate
- Finding projects outside your job requirements
- Making your strengths visible to your organization
- Navigating political roadblocks
- Avoiding career potholes