Know how to establish and sustain a trusting relationship with your sponsor so that he or she will continue to support your career.
- Trust is the emotional glue of all relationships.…It's doing the little things consistently right…which ultimately creates bigger opportunities.…After you've identified a sponsor and ask them…to support you, it is important to establish…and continually reinforce trust with that person.…So how do you do it?…Number one, do what they ask you to do ahead of time.…If they ask you to get something done…in 30 days, submit it within 14 to 21 days.…
If they ask you when you think you can get something done,…always surprise and delight them by getting it done early.…That's not only the mark of professionalism,…but a person who is hungry and aggressive…and has a big career ahead of them.…Number two, keep offline conversations…and other inside information…that your sponsor passes on to you in confidence.…Resist the temptation to gossip.…For example, one of my sponsors was being interviewed…and courted by another company, and he asked…for my feedback about what I thought…about him pursing this particular opportunity.…
Because I had established an initial trust,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining your career goals
- Leveraging your sponsor's influence
- Engaging with your sponsor as an advocate
- Finding projects outside your job requirements
- Making your strengths visible to your organization
- Navigating political roadblocks
- Avoiding career potholes