Learn how a sponsor can help you avoid—or recover from—hitting a pothole along the route to success.
- One of the things that a sponsor does…is to give you the road map of how to stay successful,…based on their years of experience and know how.…I want to pause for a moment and share with you…a mistake that I made in my career.…I'm going to be raw, real, and put my truth on the table,…because even though it was a mistake…it became the greatest turning point…in my professional journey.…When I worked at a Fortune 500 Company…I received a call from a journalist.…Now the rule at this particular company…was you never talk to the media unless authorized.…
I wasn't authorized,…but I decided to talk to the journalist.…The journalist asked me where I saw myself…10 or 15 years into the future,…and I said as the president and CEO of the company,…and eventually the chairman and CEO of the entire brand.…Well, the article came out in a state business magazine.…That same day my boss called me into the office,…and said what the hell were you thinking…when you did that interview?…(laughing)…I realized in that moment that I had…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining your career goals
- Leveraging your sponsor's influence
- Engaging with your sponsor as an advocate
- Finding projects outside your job requirements
- Making your strengths visible to your organization
- Navigating political roadblocks
- Avoiding career potholes