In this video tutorial, watch an example of how two people answered the common interview question why are you interested in our company. Valerie Sutton, director Career Services at Harvard Graduate School of Education, analyzes their answers and offers tips on how to best address this interview question and ways to improve.
- Let's look at some examples of job candidates answering the question, why are you interested in our company? There are three topics that are important to highlight when responding to this question, why are you interested in the company, the position, and how does the company and position fit with your longer term goals? Let's take a look at the candidate for the entry-level UX Designer Position. - Tom, can you tell me why you're interested in our company? - Yes, well, while other companies are focused on the Fortune 500 companies, you focus on the learning aspect of everything, including that as well, and so your dashboards, and everything involve and include the interest of the students that I'm working with, and that's why I'm so focused, and excited to work with the company, because it covers everything.
- Great. - It's a lot to remember, to cover each of the three topics that the interviewer may be trying to discover. Tom focuses his answer on his interest in the company first, and touches on the role. He could make this stronger by also touching on his own career growth within the company. Now, let's take a look at Donna, who is seeking a more senior position as a training and development manager. - Can you tell me why you're interested in our company? - Well, I have been a fan of your company for years, and I have been following your product updates closely.
In addition, I did have a chance to talk to John Doe, and he confirmed that you are rated one of the best companies to work for in Boston, so I am so excited to apply my knowledge of training and development with a company that I admire so much, and someone that is also continuing to develop its product lines. I believe in a company growing as fast as yours, my experience with training and development will really help continue the success of its employees. - Thank you.
- Donna focuses her answer on her company interest, and reveals she has done quite a bit of background research. She focuses attention on her experience as it relates the growth of the company.
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?