In this video tutorial, watch an example of how two people answered the common interview question why are you interested in our company. Valerie Sutton, director Career Services at Harvard Graduate School of Education, analyzes their answers and offers tips on how to best address this interview question and ways to improve.
- Let's look at some examples of job candidates…answering the question,…why are you interested in our company?…There are three topics that are important to highlight…when responding to this question,…why are you interested in the company,…the position, and how does the company and position…fit with your longer term goals?…Let's take a look at the candidate for the entry-level…UX Designer Position.…- Tom, can you tell me why you're interested in our company?…- Yes, well, while other companies are focused on…the Fortune 500 companies,…you focus on the learning aspect of everything,…including that as well,…and so your dashboards,…and everything involve and include the interest…of the students that I'm working with,…and that's why I'm so focused,…and excited to work with the company,…because it covers everything.…
- Great.…- It's a lot to remember,…to cover each of the three topics that the interviewer…may be trying to discover.…Tom focuses his answer on his interest in the company first,…and touches on the role.…He could make this stronger by also touching on…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.