In this video tutorial, watch an example of how two people answered the common interview question how did you handle a difficult situation. Valerie Sutton, director Career Services at Harvard Graduate School of Education, analyzes their answers and offers tips on how to best address this interview question and ways to improve.
- When answering tell me how…you handled a difficult situation,…your focus should be on your critical thinking skills…and how they align with the values or work styles.…Let's see how Tom answers this question.…He's interviewing for an entry-level position…as a UX designer.…- Tom, can you tell me about a time…you encountered a difficult situation?…- I was working with a couple of the team members…at our school and we ended up working on a great project.…Unfortunately, we all weren't able to meet the deadline,…and so I had to pitch in for some of the students.…
They were able to get this work done with my help,…but it could've been a lot better.…I, for myself, being a team leader…know that I need to check in more with these students…for a better experience.…- Yeah, that sounds like it.…- Yes.…- Even though this was a difficult situation for Tom,…he stayed away from these negative aspects.…He also kept his answer focused on a specific project,…understanding the issues and how he learned…from the experience.…Now let's look at how someone seeking a more senior position…
- Tell me about your strengths
- Tell me about your weaknesses
- Why are you interested in our company?
- Why did you leave your previous company?
- Tell me how you handled a difficult situation
- What questions do you have?
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The Who and What of the Interview
Types of interview questions1m 35s
2. Common Question 1
3. Common Question 2
4. Common Question 3
5. Common Question 4
6. Common Question 5
7. Common Question 6
8. Common Question 7
9. Common Question 8
10. Common Question 9
11. Common Question 10
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.