In this video,Talent Maximizer Roberta Matuson, helps you understand what culture really means in your company, and how to effectively navigate your workplace. Learn how to take note of unwritten rules, get a good handle on the social norms in your organization, and see how work really gets done.
- I thought all workplaces were the same…when it comes to office politics,…boy was I wrong.…My first real job was with a commercial real estate firm…where I learned to swim with piranhas.…Back stabbing was part of the corporate culture…and I barely got out of there with my skin on.…I figured, it couldn't possibly get worse, wrong again.…My next company was even more political.…
So much depends on the corporate culture.…What's acceptable behavior in one organization…may be completely unacceptable in another.…For example, in one organization,…it may be perfectly acceptable to go straight to the top…when you need something, whereas in another,…everyone is expected to follow the chain of command.…Let me give you a little bit of guidance…so you'll be able to quickly assess your environment…and ensure your next play is the right move.…
Think of office politics as strategic,…like a game of chess.…Once you make your move, you can't go back…and say, just kidding.…You've taken your stand.…That's why it's important to think through…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Decoding your boss's management style
- Managing your boss
- Building strong relationships
- Avoiding mistakes
- Dealing with office politics
- Ensuring your next play is the right move
- Communicating effectively
- Bridging a generation gap
- Being heard
- Tooting your own horn strategically