In this video, Roberta Matuson dispels common myths about self-promotion. She reveals four of the most common myths and why these myths are holding employees back from achieving their full potential. Roberta helps you quickly bust through common myths about self-promotion so you can catapult your career forward.
- How do you feel when I say,…if you want to get ahead,…you need to go out there and tell your boss…and the people you work with…that you're good at your job.…Does that make you tense?…Or do you dismiss it as nonsense?…In all the years I've been coaching,…I have found the most challenging ideas…for people to overcome are the myths about self promotion.…Let's look at a couple of the most common,…and look for the truth.…You'd probably believe your work should speak for itself.…
In an ideal world, that might be true,…but we don't live in an ideal world.…We live in the real world,…where there are a ton of distractions…and quite a bit of noise.…Not to mention, lots of other people vying for attention.…Think about Vincent Van Gogh,…he's considered one of the greatest painters in history,…but was virtually unknown in his time.…Van Gogh produced more than 900 paintings in his lifetime…and only sold one.…
He spent his days and night creating masterpieces…that weren't acknowledged until long after he was gone.…If you're like me, you don't want to wait…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify your boss' management style.
- Articulate how to build a strong relationship quickly.
- Explain how to deal with office politics.
- Acquire power in the workplace.
- Describe how to work with a younger boss.
- List common myths about self-promotion.