There are all sorts of creative ways you can use the Gradient Mask to enhance your images. In this video, Derrick Story shows you how to use the Gradient Mask to enhance the background of a product shot in Capture One Pro, which is an advanced image management and editing application for profession and enthusiast photographers.
- [Derrick] So, you're working on a shot,…and you're getting some images ready,…let's say for a magazine ad,…the art director comes over to your desk and says,…those look great, but we wanted a graduated backdrop…for them, not all white, and your going, darn it!…(laughs)…Well, fortunately in post production, we can compensate…for that, right?…So, all you have to do is go over and check…this box right here, and you have your graduated backdrop.…Now, how I did this?…Well, I used gradient mask as you probably guessed,…and I'm going to show you how that worked, first let me show…you the mask itself, so we'll Always Display Mask,…so, there's our mask, and then I just use the erase tool…to erase away the areas that I didn't want…affected by the mask.…
Now, unlike some of the other brushing that we've done,…you have to be really accurate with this, so you have to…zoom in and on the detail, and so forth, or you'll give…away what you have done.…I didn't do that here, but I did want you to have a feel…for how we pulled this off.…
- Adjusting a specific hue with the Color Editor
- Minimizing an offending color in the Color Editor
- Fine tuning hues with Color Balance
- Exploring Color Balance presets
- Addressing a specific tone with the Curve tool
- Exposure adjustment tricks
- Using brushing tools in the Local Adjustments tab
- Making color corrections to specific areas
- Speeding up your workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Tethered Shootingwith Richard Harrington2h 30m Beginner
Capture One Pro 10 Essential Trainingwith Derrick Story3h 43m Intermediate
1. Color Adjustments
2. Tonal Adjustments
3. Localized Adjustments
4. Speed Up Your Workflow
Next steps1m 35s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.