Join Pooja Jaisingh for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating your first drag-and-drop interaction, part of Captivate Projects: Drag-and-Drop Interactions.
- View Offline
- Let's get started with creating a Drag and Drop interaction. Creating a Drag and Drop interaction with Adobe Captivate doesn't require any programming skills. You just need to follow three simple steps and the interaction is ready in no time. In the Exercise Files folder, under Chapter 01, open the Three Simple Steps Start project. I've placed my Exercise Files folder on my desktop for easy access. I've already added two images here, as you need at least two objects on the slide to create a Drag and Drop interaction.
We will use this one as a drag source and the other as drop target. Let's create the interaction. Click Interactions and select Drag and Drop. This will open the Drag and Drop Interaction Wizard for you, where you need to follow three simple steps. First step is to identify the dragables. Second step is to identify the drop targets. And the third step is to show the relationship between the dragables and the drop target.
In this Wizard you will notice that a Submit button has been automatically added on the slide. If the Submit button is covering any of your dragables or drop targets, feel free to move it to another location. Let's follow the first step. Click the dragable object, this will mark the object as dragable and provide you a visual indication with a green bounding box. Click Next to go to the next step. Here you need to select the drop target. Click to select it and you will see a blue bounding box around it.
Click Next. Now it's time to show the relationship between the dragables and the drop targets and specify the correct answers. Click the + at the center of the dragable and pull an arrow out of it and drop it on top of the drop target. You'll see a feedback caption appear in the center of the slide, but we are going to ignore this for now. I'll cover how to use this in the later movies. Click Finish. Your Drag and Drop interaction is ready.
Let's Preview it to see the interaction in action. Click Preview and select Project. Here you can see that I can easily move the dragable on the screen and as soon as I place it on top of the drop target it snaps to the drop target. Isn't it super simple to create a Drag and Drop interaction for your e-learning courses? Now let's see how we can customize the Drag and Drop interaction to suit your requirements.
- Creating your first drag-and-drop interaction
- Building a drag-and-drop question
- Categorizing draggables and drop targets
- Setting acceptance and rejection behaviors
- Assigning actions
- Providing feedback via captions and audio
- Setting interaction-level actions
- Defining the correct answers
- Advanced drag-and-drop interactions