Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Why use groups?, part of Up and Running with Canvas 2015.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Groups are a very useful function within Canvas.…If used properly, you can greatly improve…the amount of communication and collaboration you will have.…Not only within your classroom,…but outside of the classroom.…Groups provide an organized and protective platform…for students to share resources,…hold video conferences, and to work collaboratively…on group assignments over the internet.…Each of these skills are becoming increasingly important…in our digital world.…This is an excellent opportunity to help students…develop these skills within the structure of your course.…
When creating Groups within your course,…you will have the ability to assign students to groups,…randomly assign the groups,…or allow students to select their groups.…Observing how your individual students collaborate…through a medium such as the internet…will allow you to give feedback to students…on their 21st century communication…and collaboration skills, which are critical…for success in today's world.…The amount and quality of collaboration that takes place…
- Setting up a teacher account and profile
- Creating the course and syllabus
- Adding a grading profile
- Creating student groups
- Setting up conferences
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Building test question banks
- Exploring the grading tools (including SpeedGrader)
- Adding co-teachers
- Duplicating a course
- Working with modules
- Publishing a course
Skill Level Beginner
Teaching Fundamentals: Data-Driven Instructionwith Riyaz Gayasaddin1h 23m Appropriate for all
1. Getting Started with Canvas 2015
2. Creating a Course
3. Creating Student Groups
4. Adding Assignments and Quizzes
5. Exploring the Grading Tools
6. Course Management Tools
7. Canvas Apps
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.