Once you have your Canvas account created, you can begin to add courses. Adding new courses is easy inside of Canvas. You can create multiple courses, title, them, and color code them in order to keep them organized. Canvas also allows you to create additional sections within a course. Students will not have access to your course until it is published, allowing you to customize your course before sharing it with your class.
- [Instructor] Now that we've completed our teacher profile and customized the settings and notifications, we're ready to create our first course. In order to do this, I'm going to go to the global navigation bar on the left, and I'm going to click on Dashboard. This brings me to my dashboard, and here you can see that I already have one course card. It's titled Your Guided Course Template. This was in here by default. Now in order to create my first new course, I'm going to click on the far right on Start a New Course. Once I do that, a pop-up appears, and the first thing I need to do is to name my course. I'll go ahead and name it Biology 101. And then we need to decide on the license which will dictate who can use your course. Now you can keep it as Private and copyright it, or at the other end of the spectrum, you can list it on the public domain. Then anyone can use it and see it. Now there are some options for creative common licenses, and I'm not going to go over all the specific guidelines for creative commons, but if you want more on this topic, you can visit the creative commons website at creativecommons.org. In this case, I'm going to keep mine as Private. And I'll click on that. And then we can decide if we want to make the course publicly visible. In this case, I'm keeping it Private, so I do not want to do that. And when I'm done, I'll click on Create Course. And just like that, I've created my first course. Now you'll notice here that it is unpublished, and at any time I can publish it by clicking this button. But I don't want to do that yet. We can set up modules and do more, which we'll take a look at. And then on the left-hand side, I now have my course navigation bar with my Home, Announcements, Assignments, and more. So now that we have our course created, let's start organizing it.
- Navigating the layout of Canvas
- Creating a teacher account
- Creating a new course
- Customizing your course settings
- Adding students and creating groups
- Creating assignments and quizzes
- Creating rubrics
- Enhancing the feedback process with SpeedGrader
- Leveraging course management tools